Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Villa Agricolas 17 - Transfer

Villa Agricolas 17 - Farewell!  Transfer

(Happy Birthday, Taylor!  Last year, 18yo.  Love, Mom & Dad)

Well, my time has come to an end here in Villa Agricolas. I got the call on Saturday night and I'll be heading out to the farthest jungle there is in this country!  Ok, no - the new area is 10 minutes from where I am right now hahaha. Not going to be much of a change looks-wise, but I know now better than I did four and a half months ago that God has a purpose to all He does, so I'm ready to find out what it is!!!

It was a great way to end the transfer. But we had a really rough start to the week, though. The baptism of Rudy fell (Spanish "fallar" - to fall through). Probably one of the most heart wrenching things I've gone through up to now in the mission. He's so ready and he wants to be baptized more than anything. He's a 20-year old young man, studying at the University and already an adult, basically. But he still is living with his parents for the moment.  He told us four days before the baptism that his mom wanted to talk to us. His parents work crazy hours to try and provide for the family, leaving at 5am and getting back at 9 at night almost every single day. So up until that point, after trying to think of every possible way to talk to them, we hadn't yet had the opportunity to meet his parents.

So anyway, we went there with special permission from the Zone Leaders at 850p to talk to his mom. She basically freaked out, saying that even though Rudy is an adult, that she felt he was taking the decision way too fast, it's a matter of time to her, and how she wasn't going to support him in it and everything.... It was devastating for me to say the least. So Elder Maatatia and I basically explained about his process, what we do as missionaries, basic doctrine about the Church and let Rudy do the rest. Rudy shared his feelings and testimony with his mom.  Afterwards, even though she didn't change her opinion, she was a lot more calm. We decided to push his baptism date back to the 25 of August, or the end of next transfer. Even though it didn't happen when or how I wanted it to, I went home that night and prayed to the Lord, asking Him basically why, what I had done wrong, why we couldn't solve the concerns of his mom so he could make the decision he wants to make so badly. And while I was asking the Lord, in a sincere prayer from my heart, I just felt this calming, really comforting feeling come over me. It was truly remarkable. I knew in that moment, God knew something I didn't. That it was better this way. It's possible that I won't get to see Rudy's baptism happen. But who knows if his parents or mother are going to come to the Gospel in the future, now respecting her point of view. I just feel comfortable now with what happened.  And still, Rudy was there earlier than all the members at church on Sunday, waiting for Church.  So I know that this isn't gonna stop him, just might delay him a bit. (see Taylor's scripture quote below: John 4, esp v. 38)

But we found an AWESOME new family that came to church yesterday. I hope that Elder Maatatia and his new companion will be able to help them accept this Gospel in their lives. Its been hard to say goodbye to everyone, and the hardest farewells are coming up tonight, but I've gave it my all here. Everything I have to this branch and I have made friendships and had experiences I'll remember for the rest of my life. The mission is truly remarkable.

Shout out to my friend DEDDRICK HARRIS for getting married!!!!!! Love you guy! And my heart goes out to my little brother Joseph for his 10th birthday coming up this Thursday. Everyone give him a huge hug for me when you see him!


Elder Graff

 
John 4: 35-38

"Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white, already to harvest."

"And he that reapeth recieveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together."

"And herin is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth."

No comments:

Post a Comment